At Floor Coverings International® of Bloomington, we’ve got our finger on the pulse of what our friends and neighbors are looking for when they choose to update their floors. Tile flooring has always been an attractive investment for Bloomington homeowners. However, tile flooring does require a moderate amount of care and cleaning to ensure they sparkle and shine. Follow these tips to keep your tile flooring fresh and mess-free.
Consistent Tile Cleaning
Maintaining your tile floors should be a consistent and ongoing process. Tiles should be swept or vacuumed every few days to pick up dirt and debris that is brought in. Regular mopping will remove stubborn gunk and keep tile floors shining. When you stay on top of tile cleaning, your tile floors will last longer and look fresher in the long run!
Cleaning Grout Lines
Grouting tends to collect all of the little particles or water runoff from your tiles. Because they’re a little more textured than the tiles themselves, dirt and dust can sometimes be a bit more difficult to remove. To deeply clean grout lines, break out the amateur chemistry set and bristle brush.
- Make a homebrew grout cleaner with common ingredients. A pasty solution of 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with 1 part baking soda provides a foamy mix that lifts off set-in dirt. If you prefer a sprayable solution, mix 7 cups of warm water, ½ cup of baking soda, 1/3 cup ammonia and ¼ cup white vinegar and use a spray bottle for application.
- Test your mixture to make sure there aren’t any major unwanted visible changes to the tile or grout.
- Spread or spray the cleaning solution onto grout lines and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Scrub the grout with a soft bristle brush to loosen dirt.
- Wipe up the surface and dry with a towel.
Remember to Reseal
Some tile is porous, meaning it has divots, nooks, and crannies where dirt or water can seep in. Terracotta, slate, and other natural stone tiles fall into this category. Prevent water damage and provide an extra layer of defense against grit and grime by periodically resealing natural tiles. Most hardware stores will carry tile re-sealing products that are easy to apply.
New Tile Installation
If you’re ready to get started on a new tile flooring project, contact the experts at Floor Coverings International® of Bloomington for a free consultation. Our team has all of the tools, techniques, and tricks of the trade to help you pick out the perfect floor. We are proud to serve Bloomington, Minneapolis & Richfield and the surrounding areas.
Photo © Daniel Krylov