If you’re looking for tile with a bit more color and shine than your average porcelain or ceramic, consider glass! Glass tile has become a popular choice with Bloomington homeowners because of its sleek, modern look and the variety of styles available. Our Floor Coverings International Bloomington experts can help you find the perfect glass tile for your home – but first, here are a few factors to consider:
Advantages of Glass Tile
- The choices are endless – glass tile is available in a range of sizes, shapes, colors, and finishes, from pearlescent mosaic squares to white subway tiles. You can even create unique patterns and designs by mixing and matching different tiles. For example, you could alternate tiles of different colors to create a checkerboard, or use a small strip of colorful tiles to offset a background of larger, plain squares.
- Because glass reflects light, glass tiles can help make a small space feel brighter and more open.
- Glass tiles are easy to clean and maintain. Unlike natural stone, which is porous, glass repels water, and it’s even mold and mildew-resistant, too. If your tiles get dirty, just give them a wipe down with a sponge and basic cleaner!
More Things to Know About Glass Tile
- Glass tile isn’t the best choice for flooring since it can be slippery when wet and can be chipped if something heavy is dropped on it. It works best on vertical surfaces, which is why you’ll typically see it used in backsplashes and shower surrounds.
- Glass is on the pricier end of the tile spectrum. It can be expensive to cover large surfaces with glass tile, so it isn’t ideal for homeowners on a budget. One solution is to primarily use an affordable tile like ceramic, and then add glass tile accents for decoration.
- Glass tiles must be handled very carefully during installation. To avoid mistakes or broken tiles, it’s best to leave this job to the professionals rather than attempting it yourself.
Call Floor Coverings International Bloomington to see glass tile samples or get a free estimate on your project! We provide complimentary in-home consultations to Bloomington homeowners.
You might also be interested in:
Photo Credit: Artazum